Saturday, September 24, 2011

"Loyal Friend" 11" X 14" oil






This was done for our dear cousin, Mary Katherine who wanted it as a gift for her son who graduated from East Carolina Univerity. It helped enormously to have little Capone with me as I painted. I was able to work from life as well as a series of photographs I took of different poses. I began a 14 x 26 and after roughing it in decided to start over using both a different pose and blend of colors. The smaller format worked much better. I enjoyed having Capone wandering around my studio looking up at me from time to time with those worried eyes as if to say "I hope you're getting it right." Capone returned home to North Carolina just about the time it was finished. I sat it down on the steps that Capone and I traversed many mornings and evenings with Capone during his visit. I still miss the little fella.

No comments: